Monday, September 26, 2011

A Healthy Meal?

Today we were looking at what might make a healthy meal.  Last year we looked at the food pyramid so we already knew the different types of food groups. 
We did a similar activity to the one our quadblogging friends in America did last month.  We had a picture of some food and had to join to make what we thought was a healthy, balanced meal.

Here are some of the groups we formed.  We thought about how balanced they were and if something was missing.  Some of our groups changed a bit.

Pizza and cheese

Pizza and salad

Is there something missing?

Spaghetti and peas

Do we need fish? Is it too much food?

Have we got too much of something?

Deciding if it's balanced.

Deciding if something is missing

A cheese sandwich

Is there enough here?


A cheese sandwich and fruit.

We are now going to keep a food, drink and exercise diary for a week to see how balanced and healthy our diet is.

7 comments:

  1. This looks like a great way to think & learn about what you are eating. I love the idea of the picture cards. Keeping a food diary is goinfg to be very interesting - I always find I eat far more than I thought I did! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas from you all. Did you think about the balance of food throughout the day not just for that meal? What about 5 a day? I like the idea of pizza and salad for my tea, you have helped me make my mind up, thanks.

    Keep up the good work and make sure Mrs Elrick has a balanced lunch tomorrow too, who will check for me and let me know? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs Elrick's Class,
    I used to work with Mrs Elrick quite a few years ago and she let me know about this blog.
    I have to say I am very impressed - you have obviously learnt some great things about healthy eating.
    I teach Year 4 in a school in Spain - I wonder if we could share our learning? We do not have a blog (Mrs Elrick is much better at these things than me :)) but it would be great to hear from you now and again.
    I look forward to seeing the next blog :)
    Mrs Green

    ReplyDelete
  4. A food diary great idea i think krish realy need it.he can also tell me the combination for best diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For lunch Mrs.Elrick had:
    two passion fruits. one yoghurt. 4 oat cakes with
    goat cheese And salmon.
    we think its a little bit balanced.

    By Orion and Jeremy A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting us know that Mrs Elrick had a balanced lunch. What do you think she should have changed to make at a VERY balanced meal?

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poppy says that Mrs. Elrick should have had some more fruit and vegetables to make her lunch very balanced.

    Ethan thinks that she could have had some mushrooms. Also 5 mangosteens (and a bar of chocolate!)

    Emma thinks that she could have had some cherries and a glass of milk.

    John thinks that Mrs. ELrick should have had a salad and cheeseball with it.

    Krish thinks that she should have had a salad too.

    Toby says that she should have had pizza and rice!

    Bryan says that rice and scrambled eggs would be very balanced.

    ReplyDelete